The Director, Defense Procurement and Acquisition Policy (DPAP), issued a memorandum dated March 8, 2016, that provided the current list of product categories for which FPI's share of the DoD market is greater than five percent based on fiscal year 2015 data from the Federal Procurement Data System. The product categories to be competed effective April 7, 2016, are the following:
- H946 (Other QC/Test/Inspect-Water Purification and Sewage Treatment Equipment)
- L071 (Technical Representative--Furniture)
- 3990 (Miscellaneous Materials Handling Equipment)
- 7210 (Household Furnishings)
- 7230 (Draperies, Awnings, and Shades)
- 8405 (Outerwear, Men's)
- 8410 (Outerwear, Women's)
- 8415 (Clothing, Special Purpose)
- 8470 (Armor, Personal)
- 9905 (Signs, Advertising Displays, and Identification Plates)
The DPAP memorandum with the current list of product categories for which FPI has a significant market share is posted at: http://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/cpic/cp/specific_policy_areas.html#federal_prison.
The statute, as implemented, also requires DoD to--
(1) Include FPI in the solicitation process for these items. A timely offer from FPI must be considered and award procedures must be followed in accordance with existing policy at Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) 8.602(a)(4)(ii) through (v);
(2) Continue to conduct acquisitions, in accordance with FAR subpart 8.6, for items from product categories for which FPI does not have a significant market share. FAR 8.602 requires agencies to conduct market research and make a written comparability determination, at the discretion of the contracting officer. Competitive (or fair opportunity) procedures are appropriate if the FPI product is not comparable in terms of price, quality, or time of delivery; and
(3) Modify the published list if DoD subsequently determines that new data requires adding or omitting a product category from the list.